Oxford German Olympiad 2017
The Oxford German Olympiad 2017 is now open!
Students from Year 5 to Year 13 can take part in this creative writing competition – as individuals or in small groups. This year's theme is Deutsch(e) jenseits von Deutschland - German(s) beyond Germany. The submission deadline is 17th March 2017.
Oxford German Olympiad 2017 Competition Tasks:
Years 5 and 6 (age 9-11):
- Design a menu with German, Austrian and/or Swiss dishes for a British restaurant.
- Think up a story and turn it into a comic strip.
- Illustrate your favourite German word.
Years 7 to 9 (age 11-14):
- Write a conversation between a Deutscher Schäferhund and a Bernhardiner.
- Read Judith Kerr's When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and write a summary or write about the adventures of Anna's toy dog.
- Design a brochure about a German-speaking community or country outside Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Years 10 and 11 (age 14-16):
- Relocate the adventures of Hänsel und Gretel and write their story.
- Write a blog post or short article about a German-speaking community outside Germany.
- Write a profile of a well-known German-speaking individual who was or is active outside Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Years 12 and 13 (age 16-18):
- Write about the experience of a German or German-speaking community when they emigrate(d) from Germany.
- Choose a German dialect from Austria, Switzerland or another country outside Germany where German is spoken and explain its features.
- Write a short essay on Germany's colonial history.
Open Competition for Groups or Classes (4+ participants)
- Write and perform a rap about the German language. Film your performance!
- Create a web page or website on the theme 'Deutsche jenseits von Deutschland'.
- Interview a German-native speaker living in the UK and create a podcast.